LINCOLN — The Department of Health and Human Services is offering assistance for individuals who lose, or may lose, income as a result of the recent flooding in central Nebraska. This includes assistance programs that help with food, energy, cooling or other recovery costs.

“Disasters like this flooding event can impact people in many ways,” said Karen Heng, deputy director for eligibility operations. “Those who have not needed economic assistance programs in the past may be eligible for assistance based on a temporary reduction of income.”

Eligibility for food programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program and Women Infants and Children are based, in part, on income. Energy, heating and cooling assistance under the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program also consider income for eligibility.

Individuals already receiving SNAP who have flood-related food loss, including due to power outages, may be eligible for the SNAP replacement program. SNAP recipients can be reimbursed for the amount of a loss, up to their monthly allotment.

For more information on assistance programs and eligibility requirements, or to apply for SNAP or LIHEAP, contact DHHS by calling ACCESSNebraska at 800-383-4278 or by visiting a local DHHS office.

To apply for other assistance programs, such as Medicaid, Aid to Dependent Children, Aid to the Aged, Blind and Disabled, Respite, Child Care Provider Natural Disaster Recovery and Emergency Assistance, go to the ACCESSNebraska website.

Get the top daily Headlines from the North Platte Telegraph

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Recommended for you