A fire left a garage and everything inside it a total loss Thursday morning in the 300 block of North Mills Avenue, North Platte Fire Marshal George Lewis said.

An occupant of the house apparently started a lawn mower, then realized there was not enough gas in it.

“They shut the lawn mower off and went in the house,” Lewis said. “The next thing was someone knocking on their door telling them their garage was on fire.”

The call came in about 10:30 a.m. and firefighters were cleaning up by about 11:20 a.m.

“(The firefighters) had a pretty good knockdown when they got here,” Lewis said. “But they encountered quite a bit of heat coming from the north garage door.”

Lewis said there was quite a bit of work because of the amount of contents inside the garage. He said the residents are renters and did not have renters insurance.

“With contents and building, you’re probably looking at $15,000 to $20,000” of damage, Lewis said. “People need to understand when they rent a place, the owner of the building has insurance, but it doesn’t cover the contents.”

All three North Platte fire stations responded and about half a dozen volunteer firefighters were on scene as well, Lewis said.

Get the top daily Headlines from the North Platte Telegraph

* I understand and agree that registration on or use of this site constitutes agreement to its user agreement and privacy policy.

Recommended for you